Torrens Buildings

Written on October 20, 2010 – 9:44 am | by Lachy

Three weeks ago the former Morphett students moved into the brand new Torrens buildings. There are four classrooms, labeled L.A.16, 17, 18 & 19. There is also an Aula which is a shared space in the middle of the building. There is also a media room and the “Torrens HQ”.

There is slightly more space in the new classrooms and we are never squished so we have lots of room.

The round tables are interesting and I’m sure it will be interesting seeing how we work on them differently, if we do at all. They encourage collobaration but makes chatting easier too.

The glass walls are good because it gives the space more of an open look and probably makes the rooms look bigger. It is also good for the environment as the light aren’t used as much. It also makes it easier for teachers to supervise students.

The design of the lockers looks good. Because there is limited space, all of our bags need to stand up. Also they are outside and they are not 100% waterproof. The classes and the veranda shield most of the elements, but some water still manages to slightly wet our bags.

The Aula is the shared learning space. It has some round tables and chairs. I think it is a good feature because, coupled with the media room, it provides a more flexible learning environment as we can move out there to do some work.

Seating has created some dialemmas. We have decided to have four people per table and I think this is a good desicion. I like the current idea of having the choice of seating at the beginning of the day because it encourages you to work with different people. The only major problem is in the morning as soon as the bell goes everyone is running to the class. Also if you are late you will not get any choice who you sit next to.

There really isn’t that much that I would change because currently is seems to be an interesting, interactive learning environment.

1. No Responses to “Torrens Buildings”

Post a Comment

Skip to toolbar